Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pak Ngah's Questions in the Grounded Theory Institute Forum

Pak Ngah's question

Hello everyone,

I must admit that I am very new to qualitative method not to mention the general method such as Classic GT. Currently I'm investigating a common occurrence in family communication : Nagging. In order to save myself from being biased and to avoid the forcing of data, I have avoided reading any literature related to it. I have started interviewing informants that include the naggers, the persons who are being nagged at and people who are not involved in the nagging but inevitably have to listen to the naggers. So far I have data that I did not expect to get such as nagging can be normal and extreme, nagging is a responsibility of the nagger and nagging as an intrapersonal communication. Yet, I do not know what and where to focus on in order to proceed with the study. I don't think that I am theoretically sensitive and as a result I have no idea in analyzing the data. What should I do now? Please help.

------------------
Tom responded to my question.

Hi PakNgah,

You sound as if you are doing just fine. It is not at all unusual to get data you didn’t expect. I suggest that you just stick with what you are doing, that is, asking open questions and listen to what people are telling you. Code every interview/encounter and memo at every opportunity. You need to tolerate not knowing what the focus of your study is currently, on the understanding that in GT the main concern of participants will emerge. This is guaranteed but may take some time. You are doing everything right at the moment. The focus will come as you continue with open coding and memoing. The emergence of the core category will give the study clear focus. Just continue to ask open questions and follow up on what is emerging. Let this guide the questions you ask (theoretical sampling). You are experiencing “core confusion”, which is usual in GT as often the researcher does not know where the study is leading. In summary, tolerate your current confusion and “trust in emergence”.

Tom

-----------------------

Tina's response

Hi,

I might also add that it would be good to start looking for main concerns. Do you find that the naggers or naggees have a main concern? :) As a sometimes nagger i can think of my main concern :) In doing my GT studies I find that identifying the concern is vital in helping me begin to then look for patterns of behavior and the core category.

Tina

----------------------------------

Hanst responded, too.

Hi ishak!

to study nagging seems a relevant job indeed!
And I would be very interested in the theory once generated.
Since I myself would like to find out about nagging patterns and how to optimize family life

Ie what is the main concern of the naggers and how are they resolving it?
"Nagging as a responsibilty" - this I see in parents or teachers (?)
"Nagging as intrapersonal communication" I do not really understand. Try to find easier way to explain what is going on.
Do you mean that nagging could be a way of crying out loud what you are thinking?

hanst

No comments: